Thursday, March 31, 2011

Wisdom From Flynn Rider

Okay, so all that Tangled talk is having some kind of effect on my blogging.

    On the other hand, it's giving me things to actually, you know, blog about, so there you go. 

    Here's a quote from one of the main characters, Flynn Rider: 

    "Whoa.  Sorry, lady, I don't do back story."

    Maybe we should all take a note from Flynn -- there are worse things for a book than back story (say, sparkling vampires?), but not too many of them.  It messes with the pacing and interest of a story, and has the potential to put readers off before they ever really give your novel the chance it deserves.  But can you blame them?  If you had to sift through pages and pages, wouldn't you toss the book back into the library drop-off box?

    Knowing me, I wouldn't.  More likely, the book would get kicked under my bed or something, and I'd only find it after accumulating lots of nice late fees. 

    Anywho, remember to avoid unnecessary back story at all costs.  And now, a freebie:

    "Frying pans! Who knew, right?"

2 comments:

KM Nalle said...

I heard about a post on Tangled from Literary Rambles and had to stop by. Love that movie and I remember laughing out loud at Flynn's backstory comment. Genius.

Love the blog. I'll be back.

Jenna Blake Morris said...

I'm a huge Tangled fan! I guess it shows. Practically any time Flynn said anything in the movie, I was laughing.

And thanks!