Thursday, February 24, 2011

Patience? I'm Not Its Biggest Fan

Ah, patience.  It's not really one of the virtues I've been blessed with.  At all.

    I'm the type of person who taps her fingers and stares the clock down when I'm waiting for something -- that's awful enough already, but for a writer, it's borderline-deadly.

    Think about all the things we have to wait for.  There's planning the book (which I don't do nearly enough anyway), actually writing it, the countless revisions, the query letters and the wait on those responses, then partials or fulls, and more response times.  And then you and your agent have to start submitting to publishers, waiting till it's in print, then for readers, a fan base, blah, blah, blah.

    As you can see, there's a lot of waiting involved.  I've been through some of it, which hasn't been fun, and I have a lot more to, um, enjoy. 

    But that's okay.  It'll be more than worth it, and this is good training for everything that comes after. 

    I promise.

No comments: