Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Reading: It's a Biggie

Starting today, I'll be addressing the points from your non-Hollywood checklist. 

    Okay, so that might sound a little cryptic if you didn't catch yesterday's post, but trust me, it really isn't.  And since we're starting at the top of that list, today I'm explaining why reading is sooo vital to writers.

    Actually, it's pretty simple:  Books equal brain-food for writers.  I mean, they inspire, they teach, they help motivate you. . . the list goes on and on, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you can think up some others on your own, you free-thinking little individual. 

    Anyways.  (If you're doubting the validity of the word "anyways," then let me put your mind at ease; it's a real word.  Look it up.)  Books have a double purpose for new writers especially, because of all the techniques they can teach you.  Those things I told you, yesterday, that you'll subconsciously pick up on?  Yeah.  Those are important little things.  Syntax, paragraph structuring, character and plot development -- all that good stuff.

    Um, by the way:  You need to learn from the books as examples, then use your own take.  Sure, you can learn about author styles from other novels, but if you can't find your own voice . . . well, nobody likes a cheater/knock-off/fake, you know what I mean?  So learn from other authors, but discover your own style and people and worlds, your own stuff. 

    Well, to recap:  Reading is important.  End of story. 

    That's all, folks.

No comments: